For those of you, who are not familiar with ratatouille, it’s simply a stewed vegetable dish, using eggplant, tomatoes, zucchini, bell peppers, onions, garlic, and herbs. Though known to have originated in southern France, this dish is very popular in Greek and Mediterranean cuisines.
I particularly like this dish because it’s easy to prepare, healthy, and delicious. You can prepare ratatouille as a side dish or main meal.
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled & cubed
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 large bell peppers – green & red, chopped
- 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 tbsp fresh, chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp basil
- 1 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 pkg of brown rice
- Prepare rice according to package instructions (I use package measurements but cook my rice in the oven on 350 degrees).
- In a medium size skillet, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat.
- Place all chopped vegetables in skillet and cook until tender (some recipes call for cooking the onions, peppers, and garlic first, then adding other vegetables).
- Add can tomatoes, garlic, and herbs to vegetable mixture and stir thoroughly.
- Spoon ratatouille over rice and serve with toasted flatbread.