I love a good laugh! There’s nothing like a side-aching, eye-tearing, hearty laugh. After a long, stressful day at work, my husband and I always get in a good laugh, during dinner, with one of our favorite comedy shows. A couple episodes of Martin, and we’ve had our fix for the day.
We’ve all heard the term “Laughter is the best medicine.” Laughter not only makes you feel good, but research studies have shown that it is actually good for your health and heart. Just 15 minutes of laughter is about equivalent to 30 minutes of aerobic exercise for better cardiovascular health.
What is it about laughter that’s so beneficial? Well, for starters, it lowers blood pressure, stimulates the nervous system, enhances the cardiovascular system,
and triggers the release of endorphins: brain chemicals that improve mood, and reduce pain, anxiety, and stress.
Try adding more laughter in your life with these tips:
- Watch a funny movie or comedy show, after work or before bedtime
- Have a good laugh with a friend, co-worker, or loved one
- Find humor in life, even when things look bleak
- Sign-up to receive a daily joke or text
- Remind yourself that it’s better to laugh, to keep from crying!