The prep and cooking time for the Spinach and Ricotta Stuffed Shells takes much longer than the meals I prepare during the week. But, the time is well worth the wait! In the end, I have a healthy, vegetarian meal that the family loves.
Spinach and Ricotta Stuffed Shells
- 16 jumbo shells (cook a few extra; they tend to break during cooking)
- 1 16oz pkg frozen chopped spinach (less expensive alternative to fresh spinach)
- 2 cups marinara sauce or pasta sauce
- 2 eggs
- 15oz part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 cups part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook shells according to package directions.
- In a saucepan, add 1/3 cup water and spinach. Cook spinach until done. Drain (remove excess water)
- In mixing bowl, thoroughly stir ricotta, 1 cup mozzarella, spinach, eggs, garlic, and seasoning.
- Add 1/3 cup marinara sauce to baking dish.
- Fill each shell with spinach and cheese mixture. Add to baking dish.
- Cover shells with remaining sauce and bake covered for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese over shells.
Serve with garlic rolls or bread.