Oldways, an organization committed to “Inspiring good health through cultural food traditions and lifestyles,” declares May as International Mediterranean Diet Month! During this month, the goal is to bring attention to the health benefits of the Mediterranean diet. Research studies have proven that the Mediterranean diet is a much healthier alternative to the American diet.
In celebration, I decided to put my own spin on a Mediterranean style meal. I love the Mediterranean diet and try to incorporate many of the same food elements in my daily diet: fruits, vegetables, nuts, olive oil, lean chicken, and fish. In addition to being healthy, the Mediterranean style meals are quite tasty. It’s hard to get bored with this diet, as there are so many options, from which to choose.
The meal I prepared took little effort; especially, since I cooked the chicken and vegetables on the grill.
Mediterranean Chicken & Vegetables w/Couscous
- 4 chicken breast fillets
- 1 ea green, red, yellow peppers
- 1 sweet onion
- 1 small bunch of asparagus
- 1 bottle of balsamic vinaigrette
- 2 boxes Near East couscous (pronounced Koose-Koose)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 pk McCormick’s Grill Mates marinade: Garlic herb
- Place chicken in a bowl of cold, salt water (45 mins – 1 hr; this process makes chicken tender, and removes impurities)
- In a mixing bowl, prepare marinade according to directions
- Pour a generous amount of marinade mixture over chicken, but save about 1/4 cup to use for vegetables (set aside for 30 mins)
- Cut onions, asparagus, and peppers, and place in bowl with remaining marinade (set aside 15 mins.)
- Prepare couscous according to package, except replace water with chicken broth
- Grill chicken and vegetables on oiled grill pan, until done.
- Serve chicken and vegetables over couscous; drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette