When the weather starts to heat up in Hotlanta, it’s time to lighten up Sunday dinner. It also gives me an excuse to fix a quick meal, and spend more time in the backyard enjoying the cool breeze, and listening to the birds. But, regardless to how much time I spend in the kitchen, I always put the same amount of love in each meal.
There’s no lighter meal than a nice salad. Yes, a salad is perfect for Sunday dinner. Sure, it’s a non-traditional meal; considering Sunday dinners are usually the heaviest meal of the week, but it works well and is very healthy.
You can’t go wrong with a salad, no matter what type of salad you prepare. One of my favorites is a southwestern citrus-lime chicken salad. I like this salad because it reminds me of a salad from Chipotle Mexican Grill, which excites the taste buds with a citrusy, tangy flavor.
Southwestern Citrus-lime Chicken Salad
- 1 bag of fresh, romaine salad
- 6 – 10 fresh chicken tenders
- 1 pkg McCormick’s Grill Mates Citrus Lime Marinade
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 bag of frozen Green Giant Honey Roasted Sweet Corn
- 1 bag of salad, tortilla strips
- 1 can of sliced olives
- 1 bottle of Newman’s Own Lite Lime salad dressing
- Soak chicken in cold, salt water for at least 30 minutes. Rinse
- In a mixing bowl, prepare marinade according to package directions.
- Add chicken to marinade and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Place chicken on hot, grill and cook until done
- In small saucepan, add corn and 2 tablespoons of water. Cook until corn is heated.
- Place romaine, tomatoes, cucumbers, and olives in large, salad bowl; toss.
- Add salad mix to plate and top with chicken, corn, and tortilla chips. Drizzle with Citrus-lime salad dressing.