Making the decision to eat and live healthy is not an easy one. In order to reap the benefits, it takes time and persistence. A healthy lifestyle doesn’t just happen, you have to work at it.
When I decided to follow a vegetarian diet, some 38 years ago, I went ‘cold turkey.’ Yep, that’s right! One day I just stopped eating all red meat and pork. Was it hard? Very much so! My mother, who was a magnificent, soul-food cook, thought I had lost my mind. But, I was determined that I would follow through with this diet.
One thing I’ve learned on this journey, is that you have to find what works for you. There are some things in life that work for some, but not everyone. Though I chose to abruptly stop eating meat, that method may not work for you. In order to be successful at changing your eating habits and lifestyle, you have to find those strategies and methods that work best.
And, once you find the things that work best, you will have to continually tweak those strategies, to fit your ever-changing lifestyle, desires, and habits.
Here is some basic guidance and tips for starting and staying in the game:
- Make a promise to yourself and your family, to eat healthy and exercise.
- Include as many fruits & vegetables, in your diet, as recommended by the Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
- Exercise 30 minutes daily, each week find exercises and activities you like. If you don’t like going to a gym; don’t. There are plenty of workout routines on YouTube, to keep you from getting bored. Not to mention that taking the stairs often, is a no-brainer!
- Continue to remove unhealthy foods, from your diet, and replace with healthy alternatives.
- Enjoy being healthy! Some people I’ve talked with act as if eating healthy is a jail sentence. It’s the only way to improve your health and prolong your life, without diseases and illnesses; many of which are preventable.
So, ask yourself: “How Committed Are You?”