When the weather is cool and a chill is in the air, nothing warms the body and the stomach like a hearty, bowl of soup. Although, soup isn’t generally considered a menu choice, for Sunday dinner, the many varieties can make it a star-attraction on many family tables.
I’ve found that a nice bowl of soup is very convenient, when you don’t want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Pair a bowl of soup with a garden salad, muffins, or rolls, and you have a complete, nutritious meal.
Hearty Vegetable Soup
- 3 large peeled potatoes (cubed)
- 2 cups peeled baby carrots
- 1/2 head of small cabbage (chopped)
- 1 can whole kernel corn (15.25 oz)
- 1 can cut green beans (15.25 oz)
- 2 cans diced tomatoes (15.25 oz)
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon sage, rosemary, thyme
- 1 teaspoon olive or vegetable oil
- Heat oil in large stockpot.
- Add potatoes, carrots, cabbage. Cook until lightly tender.
- Drain corn and green beans. Add to stockpot.
- Add chicken broth, diced tomatoes, and seasonings to vegetables.
- Continue cooking vegetables until done.
- Serve with garden salad, muffins, or rolls.