Since we are now approaching the end of 2013, I wanted to take time and reflect on my list of healthy favorites, for 2013. The items on my list are foods and exercise programs that are a big part, of my healthy lifestyle.
Some of these healthy favorites I couldn’t live without — some, were downright painful. But, despite the ones that were painful, my list of healthy favorites provides year-long benefits!
During 2013, I added more protein-rich foods to my diet and increased my cardio, which is vital for burning calories. To lose weight, you must burn more calories than you intake.
Here’s my 2013 list of healthy favorites (not necessarily in order of most favorite):
- Greek yogurt (Chobani, Voskos, Yoplait)- my yogurt of choice for loading up on protein — one serving of Greek yogurt provides double the protein over regular yogurt
- Nature Valley protein bars – great source of protein, tasty, and will lower or ease the desire to eat during the day — I like to keep these in my desk drawer at work
- Salad – this is such a versatile dish, which is easy to prepare and can be topped with meat, seafood, or vegetables — on my dinner menu at least 4 times a week
- Protein fruit smoothies – quickly becoming my favorite to help curb appetite, while providing a good source of protein –drinking 8 – 16oz daily mixed with Greek yogurt or whey protein
- HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) – this is one of my painful, healthy favorites — a quick and dirty exercise routine (20 minutes) to burn calories fast
- Walk/Run – I was inspired by the Couch to 5k app, and made this a part of my exercise routine — the walk/run is definitely much easier on the knees
- Zumba – a 45 minute routine of Latin-inspired rhythms that gets the heart pumping — great calorie burner
- Jillian Michaels Get Ripped in 30 – OMG! I truly have a love-hate thing with Jillian; her routines are grueling, but if you stick with it, you’ll definitely see the benefits. She’s a favorite!
- Amy Dixon Breathless Body – a Tabata-inspired cardio workout I recently added to my list
- Jillian Michaels Extreme Shed-n-Shred – an all-time favorite, but painful, painful, painful!!! – completing this program makes me feel like I can do anything.
What’s on your list?